Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Senior Bowl-North Practice 1

North Practice #1

DB's


Darius Butler-Connecticut-Butler by far had the best workout based on the reps that were broadcast on the NFL channel. His back pedal is smooth, and he transitioned well both breaking back up and opening his hips to stay over the top. On one play, although he was in good shape, he lost the ball and the WR out fought him for it. I will hold judgement on his overall ball skills until I see more. His fundamental technique is textbook.

Macho Harris-Virginia Tech-His technique looked good as well. Unfortunately, I didn't see a WR make him open his hips and run vertical. I know the knock on him is his speed. He has received the dreaded "cover2" corner label. I think this is often overstated. Nobody runs exclusively 2, 2match, or 2man. Some teams base out of a 2 shell but everybody has blitz schemes that require 1 or even 0 in the back end. Do they sub their "cover 2" corner out when the go 0? The point is you have to do it all to garner significant playing time. Harris has sound footwork, he is tough, and if we must label him, he is a "football player." Hopefully we will see during another practice or the game if his speed is an issue.

Louis Delmas-Western Michigan-Considering he is a safety and matched up in one on one drills against Iglesias from OU, I thought he fared quite well. He really looks like a guy that has the skill set to play both free and CB. His footwork was better than several of the other corners in the drill. He transitioned without wasted movement or false steps. Guys like this are valuable commodities on an NFL roster.

Keenan Lewis-Oregon St.-In the reps I saw, he looked extremely sloppy. His weight was way too far back on his heels in his backpedal. He almost fell and had to take 3 false steps breaking back up on an out cut. Later he couldn't throw his hips open quick enough to run vertical so he chucked the wr about 15 yards down field. This would be a flag every time. I know Charles Davis, who I respect immensely, was really singing this kids praises, but he looks a long way away to me. He is big, but his technique is unsound.

DeAngelo Smith-Cincinnati-His technique looked inconsistent. His back pedal is mechanical. He kept himself in decent shape with the receiver, but he definitely wasn't shutting anyone down. He may just look stiff because of nerves. We will see how the week progresses.

Mike Mickens-Cincinnati-First of all he looks rail thin. His legs are extremely skinny. Second he just looked slow. He couldn't pull the trigger on the out cut and on a vertical route Brandon Gibson from Wash St. ran by him with ease. With all fairness, he doesn't look like he has fully recovered from his knee injury.

It was hard to get a read on the QB's because they didn't show many reps. The one thing I noticed is that Harrell looked comfortable under center and he looked smooth on his play-action fakes. He didn't have that "fish out of water" look that Colt Brennan had last year.

DE Will Davis-Illinois-Looked extremely quick off the edge. He easily beat the RT in both of his reps. It will be interesting to see how he counters someone that has quick enough feet to reach him.

DE Larry English-Northern Illinois-He didn't look as quick as I expected, and he definitely didn't look physical on day 1. Mayock pointed out that he put on 10 pounds for the scouts and it might be slowing down his explosiveness.

DT B.J. Raji-Boston College-Wow. This guy looks nasty. Hey is a load at 325 and he has great feet. He really looked explosive. He reminds me of Wilfork or Hampton. He could be a nightmare inside in any scheme.

DL Mitch King-This guy is football player. I don't know if he can hold up at DT in the league, but you got to love his motor. I think he could be a nice situational pass rusher inside because of his effort, quickness, and desire. It will be interesting to see where he ends up and how he is used.



2 comments:

  1. Good atuff. I'm interested in your take on the receivers in this years draft. My Dolphins really need a WR, but picking 25th, they don't have a shot at Crabtree, Harvin, or Maclin. Who do you like as a late 1st or 2nd round WR?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a tough one. You are right, Crabtree and Maclin will be long gone. They are legit top ten picks. Although I am not convinced he is a first round pick, Harvin will probably be gone as well. Despite his dynamic ability, I worry that he will turn out to be a situational player in the NFL. A lot of people seem to like Darrius Heyward-Bey from Maryland next. I haven't seen much of him. The story is that he is big and fast but he needs to work on his hands and his route running. Really? So he is receiver that lack "receiving" skills?. I smell a Williamson/Ginn Jr. I have Kenny Britt of Rutgers ahead of Heyward-Bey and depending on combine results I may like him more than Harvin. He is a big receiver that will go up and battle for the ball. I think he will run faster than a lot are projecting. All that being said, I am not sure I like Britt in the first round either. I do not think he will be there in the second, but I think the Fish may want to look at OL, DT, or even OLB (DT BJ Raji-BC or DE/OLB Aaron Maybin-Penn St. would be good value here) with their first pick and bank on either Iglesias OU or Robiskie Oh St. in the second. I think Robiskie will climb up the draft boards after his combine workouts and he is technically solid. That's all I got and thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete